You are now at: Network of CMA
CMA will unite 25 high-reputation institutes in 20 institutions (representing a person-year critical mass of 339 person-year and 59 PhD students in 12 countries) in Europe.
The combined expertise of the CMA Laboratories
(Virtual Laboratories (VILs))
This Centre will unite an appropriate number of specialised laboratories to form an integrated body dedicated to the intelligent search for new metallic materials and their development towards technological applicability.
- Engineering of materials
- Expertise in bulk materials and coatings
- Analysis of extrinsic properties and systems requirements
- Implementation of coating processes on machines
- Know-how, techniques and tools for processing of metallic coatings and thin films (wetting, oxidation, corrosion, friction)
- Surface properties analysis: corrosion, friction, oxidation,cohesion
- Understanding of mechanisms leading to specific knowledge for industrial problem solution
- Measurements of mechanical, electrical, dynamical properties of existing and new materials
- Numerical atomistic simulation
- Improvement of industrial measurement methods
Characterization of materials (composition, structure,
micro-structure, phase diagrams) for:
- incoming materials control
- process optimisation
- behaviour during use
- Provision of well characterized, specific high-quality samples
- Equilibrium Thermodynamics
- Melt Spinning
- Development of novel CMA materials
- Process technology on a pilot scale
To a strengthening of the competitiveness of metallic materials for the benefit of European industries by the formation of a European Network of Excellence Complex Metallic Alloys, or CMA for short, developing within five years into a
European Integrated Centre for the Development of New Metallic Alloys and Compounds (IDEA).
Collaborating on a first challenging topic, Complex Metallic Alloys, these laboratories are going to build up IDEA, put it into practice and demonstrate that it is capable to embark upon the research and development of materials that could not be dealt with before.